Study site for early Robin deaths
Location: East Lansing, MI, USA
From 1954 to 1957, John Mehner, a graduate student under George Wallace, studied robin populations in two areas of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in a residential area of East Lansing, and at a site on the MSU campus. His research at MSU was largely undertaken in the old Horticultural Gardens, and the circular fountain was part of those gardens. Mehner and Wallace found that nesting success of robins at this spot was 100% in 1954, and zero in 1957 when no nests were known to be successful on the MSU campus. DDT spraying had commenced in 1954.
Continue north towards the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum, the new museum for contemporary art. Then walk east to Farm Lane, and cross north over East Circle Drive.
Order: Stop 7
<-- Previous Next -->
Return to Tour